What is Gibraltar?
- British since 1704 !
- Homeland of the people of Gibraltar
- Financially self-sufficient - costing the UK tax payer nothing
- A strategic British military base free of charge to the UK taxpayer
- Self-governing; secure; politically stable; economically
prosperous and part of the EU
- Seven million visitors a year
- Strategic commercial ship repair facility
- Biggest ship bunkering port in Mediterranean
- A successful international finance centre regulated
to UK and EU standards
- A loyal friend to Britain in good and bad times, in peace and
war, for 300 years.
Who should decide our future?
- The British Government are proposing to do a sovereignty
deal with Spain against the wishes of the Gibraltarians. It won't be
put into practice if rejected by Gibraltar, BUT IT WILL STILL STAY
ON THE TABLE as the agreed position between UK and Spain, to
Gibraltar's political prejudice. This would be a sell out.
- Only the people of Gibraltar have the right to decide their
future. Any negotiations or agreements entered into by the British
Government against the people's wishes, betrays that right to self
determination and therefore breaks international law and a 30 year
old constitutional commitment by the British Government.
- No proposals affecting Gibraltar or its sovereignty should stay on
the table if they are rejected by the people of Gibraltar in
- Gibraltar is not opposed to reasonable dialogue. But
this must be open agenda (i.e. not predetermined to result in
Spanish Sovereignty); Gibraltar must be allowed a full and equal
participation in any talks; and nothing should survive rejection
by the people in referendum.